Choosing the Right Domain NameThis post is related to How to Choose Right Domain name
A domain name is the first thing that pops up when people are exploring through a search engine or directory, so it’s important to come up with good choice that also spotlights the focal point of your business before deciding for web hosting.
Your domain name will be your “Internet identity,” So the idea is to come up with a domain name that has obvious business and/or commercial potential.
You should base your website optimization decisions first and foremost on what's best for the visitors of your site. They are the main consumers who use search engines to find your work. Focusing too hard on specific tweaks to gain ranking in the organic results of search engines may not deliver the desired results. Search engine optimization - SEO technique is about putting your site's best foot forward when it comes to visibility in search engines.
Other tips while choosing the right domain name:
• Keep the name as short as possible ( examples are yahoo, hi5, google, bing etc)
• Choose the right domain extension like .com, .org, .co.uk, .ca, .tv etc, find out the details of extensions available with the company with whom you are booking your domain name. (I suggest using ".com". If yours is a serious business site, avoid using domains ending in "nu" or "to". Your business will have little credibility if you do so. You can consider registering a ".net” or “.org” or".tv" domain extensions, but since most people are familiar with ".com", it is better to stick to convention. Always try to avoid the use of free domain name service like ".tk" or ".co.cc" or "co.nr", as it may not suit your business purpose)
• Remember Allowed Characters. Domain names can only use letters, numbers, and dashes. Spaces and symbols are not allowed. Also, domain names are not case sensitive.
• Avoid the confusing names
• Try to register a domain which contains a popular keyword applicable for your industry. This will help your customers remember your domain name better. Furthermore, for searches conducted in search engines (like Google.com, etc), a higher ranking will be given to those web sites which contain the keywords in the title.
Example for choosing the right domain name
Suppose background information about the site is:
• Website/business name: “baseball card sales "
Choose site name as:
• Domain name: baseballcardsales.com
• Focus on: Online-only baseball card sales, price guides, articles, blog, and news content.
You may like to read...
Blogger Tag Clouds
Business Blogging Tips